As we all know most graffiti looks terrible and degrades the value of the neighbourhood. But what about outdoor mould? How does it affect your property, both physically and cosmetically? Does outdoor mould affect property value?
Often we are faced with mould inside our house. But what about when the mould is outside? High concentrations of mould spores can be found right in your backyard. Some frequent outdoor areas where mould loves to grow is on timber decking, pathways and in decomposing leaves and vegetation which are often found under trees, in compost piles, uncleaned gutters and discarded lawn clippings. Attending to these areas regularly will help to reduce mould growth.
What are some ways we can help keep mould under control outside?
- Keep your roof guttering in good working order to ensure storm water is directed to an appropriate outlet, not left to run down your walls or into your ceiling cavities. Any cracked guttering should be fixed or replaced at your earliest convenience.
- Ensure your gutters are regularly cleared out of any leaves and general debris, eliminating a food source for mould to grow and preventing backflow of stormwater.
- Ensure water drainage is diverted away from your house with the help of a landscape drainage expert.
- Have your pathways and decking pressure cleaned regularly and refinish where necessary on a regular basis.
- Trim bushes and trees regularly and rake and dispose of leaves dropped by trees and left to accumulate.
- Don’t leave grass clippings on your lawn after mowing, put in your green bin at as soon as possible.
- Manage your composting appropriately.
- Keep a lookout for mould in pot plant soil and change if needed.
- Try not to water your lawn or gardens too late in the afternoon too often. This leaves the soil and vegetation quite moist and dark overnight, perfect conditions for mould growth. The best time for watering is early morning.
In the same way that graffiti can turn off property buyers, so too can outdoor mould. Not only does it look unsightly, but quite often the potential buyers will be thinking “Well if there’s mould outside, then what on earth could be lurking inside….”
A mouldy outdoor area can cause timber to rot, as well as ruin outdoor furniture. What can you do if it’s too late for prevention and mould has struck?
At Graffiti Pro our high pressure cleaning isn’t like your average service! We use chemicals that clean external surfaces affected by environmental deterioration, such as water, mould, fungus, moss and discolouration, returning the surface to its original condition. These chemicals have a residual effect and will continue to protect the surface for up to 12 months after one application. This product will kill (not just bleach) mould spores, preventing the fungus from returning.
Furthermore, our pressure cleaning chemicals are chlorine and bleach free, single part chemicals with hospital grade disinfectant qualities. This product can be used on any surface and is environmentally friendly and biodegradable with naturally occurring ingredients. We use dedicated high pressure cleaning machinery, in order to receive the best results.
So if you’re concerned about outdoor mould at your place, give us a call and we’ll make sure the outside of your property looks fresh and clean. Talk to one of our friendly professionals today.